|Cinco de Mayo DUI / Driver’s License Checkpoint|
|Written Date:||May 3, 2016||Time:||11:35 p.m.|
|Incident Date:||May 5, 2016||Time:||7:00 p.m. – 3:00 a.m.|
|Reporting Officer:||Sergeant Tim White|
On Thursday, May 5, 2016, beginning at 7:00 PM, the Coachella Police Department conducted a DUI / Driver’s License Checkpoint in the area of Ave 50 and Van Buren Street. Approximately 420 vehicles passed through the checkpoint; thirty-one vehicles were diverted to secondary screening.
- Four drivers were arrested for drunk or drugged driving
- Five drivers were cited for driving without a valid driver’s license
- One driver was cited for driving on a suspended license
- Three vehicles were towed
- Three vehicles were released to a driver with a valid license.
- Edgar Castro, age 24 of Coachella was arrested for DUI with a B.A.C greater than .08%
- Robert Luna, age 41 of Coachella was arrested for DUI drugs
- Fortino Morales, age 29 of Coachella, was arrested for DUI drugs and for driving on a suspended license for DUI
- Alex Castro Ramirez, age 20 of Indio, was arrested for DUI drugs
Statistics show that alcohol and drug impaired driving can lead to serious injury and/or death. The City of Coachella and the Coachella Police Department remain steadfast in its effort of reducing driver-impaired traffic collisions within the city while increasing public safety and public awareness.
This checkpoint was funded by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Report Drunk Drivers – Call 9-1-1!
You must be logged in to post a comment.