Maryland: police say that James L. Myers II attempted to run over officers during chase, smashed police, was driving impaired


(LIBERTYTOWN, MD) – A Pennsylvania man whose license is suspended has been charged with multiple counts of assault and additional charges are pending following his reckless drive through Carroll and Frederick counties last night that ended when he collided with another vehicle near Libertytown.

The suspect is identified as James L. Myers II, 27, of Biglerville, PA. He is charged on a warrant obtained by Maryland State Police with three counts of first degree assault and three counts of second degree assault. Additional charges will be filed against Myers, including multiple traffic charges. Myers has been taken to the Frederick County Central Booking Center for processing and his initial appearance before a court commissioner.

Due to injuries sustained in the crash last night, Myers was flown by Trooper 3 to the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center. He was treated and released from the hospital at about 5:00 a.m. today.

The information known to investigators at this time indicates the incident began about 7:30 p.m. yesterday when a Taneytown Police Department sergeant stopped a Ford F150 on Rt. 194, south of Taneytown, for expired tags. When the sergeant approached the driver, later identified as Myers, the suspect accelerated and drove away.

The Taneytown sergeant called in reporting the driver fled and was headed south on Rt. 194 driving recklessly and at a high rate of speed. The sergeant discontinued his pursuit as the suspect neared the Frederick and Carroll County line.

Maryland state troopers from Frederick and Westminster barracks had monitored the incident and moved toward the area. A Maryland State Police helicopter, Trooper 3, stationed in Frederick, was airborne and responded immediately. The crew of Trooper 3 located the vehicle and began calling out locations to ground units.

A trooper from Westminster Barrack was at Rt. 550 and Clyde Young Road as the suspect approached. The trooper activated his emergency equipment and stopped his car in the northbound lane of Rt. 550 as the suspect drove south. The suspect swerved over the centerline and drove directly at the trooper’s stopped car. The trooper was able to swerve out of the way to avoid a head-on collision, but the suspect did sideswipe the rear fender of the patrol car.

The trooper turned southbound and pursued the suspect with this lights and siren activated. As the suspect approached two Frederick County Sheriff’s Office patrol cars and deputies stopped on the shoulder of northbound Rt. 550, he drove onto the shoulder of the northbound lanes directly at the deputies. The suspect swerved back onto the road just before striking a deputy who was attempting to deploy stop sticks. The deputies then joined the trooper in pursuing the suspect south on Rt. 550.

According to the trooper involved, the suspect repeatedly crossed the centerline and drove at oncoming civilian vehicles, causing them to swerve to avoid being hit. No civilian vehicles were hit at this time.

The suspect drove into Lansing Court and a cul de sac, where another trooper was waiting. The trooper was outside his patrol car and the suspect drove his vehicle directly at the trooper. The trooper was able to jump out of the way to avoid being hit.

Duty officers from both the Maryland State Police and Frederick County Sheriff’s Office directed their units to discontinue their active pursuit, due to the aerial surveillance of the suspect by Trooper 3. Troopers and deputies backed off, but continued in the direction of the suspect’s route of travel. The suspect continued to drive recklessly on several state and county roads as he proceeded south.

At the intersection of Old Annapolis Road and Rt. 26 in Libertytown, the suspect collided with a Ford SUV occupied by Ricky L. Shorb, 64, and Barbara E. Shorb, 71, both of Union Bridge. His vehicle then struck a tree and came to rest in a yard.

A Frederick County deputy arrived at the scene first and found the suspect still in his truck, which had numerous beer cans plainly visible. The suspect, who was the only occupant, was having trouble breathing. The deputy established an airway, but while monitoring the suspect, found that he had lost his pulse. The deputy began emergency resuscitation procedures and the suspect regained a pulse.

Trooper 3 landed and the flight paramedic provided additional emergency care along with EMS providers who responded. Myers was then flown to the Shock Trauma Center by Trooper 3.

The Shorbs were not seriously injured in the crash. No troopers or deputies were injured.

The investigation is ongoing and more charges will be placed against Myers. Troopers have evidence indicating Myers was driving under the influence. His Pennsylvania driver’s license is suspended. The license tag on the truck Myers was driving was expired and listed to another vehicle.

Product DetailsProduct Details