Massachusetts State Police report that on Aug. 5, 2017, at approximately 4:25 pm, State Police and Boston Police arrested 78-year-old man RICHARD HIGGINS of Attleboro for operating under the influence of alcohol, 3rd offense after he struck a 12-year-old female pedestrian.
Preliminary reports from Trooper Ryan Doyle indicate HIGGINS was operating a 2001 Ford Explorer on Old Colony Avenue when he lost control of his vehicle, swerved right, and struck the girl.
The facts and circumstances of the crash, including whether the child was in a crosswalk, remain under investigation by State Troopers assigned to the South Boston Barracks.
HIGGINS failed to stop until Boston Police stopped his vehicle in the area of the Kosciuszko Rotary.
RICHARD HIGGINS was placed under arrest and charged with the following offenses:
- Operating Under the Influence of Liquor, 3rd Offense;
- Leaving the Scene of Personal Injury;
- Negligent Operation of Motor Vehicle
- Operating a Motor Vehicle with Revoked License for OUI;
- Operating while Under the Influence with Suspended License for OUI; and
The child was transported by Boston EMS to Tufts Medical Center for the treatment of serious injuries.