LOUISVILLE, Ky. (05/06/2014) — The family of a teen killed in a drunk driving crash is still waiting for justice.
Authorities say in 2009, 18-year-old Caroline Minks was killed in a drunk driving accident with Cody File behind the wheel on River Rd. He was sentenced to 14 years after pleading guilty to manslaughter, but only served eight months before he was granted shock probation.
Last month, 23-year-old File was arrested again for driving drunk in Henry County. He’s charged with DUI, failure to report a traffic accident and operating on a suspended license.
Minks’ family says he needs to be sent back to prison — and they were hoping a judge would agree with them Monday in court. That decision was pushed back though, as File had not been assigned a public defender.
“This has been dragging out. It’s very stressful, very aggravating. He didn’t learn the first time, so I’m hoping and praying that it’s gonna be taken care of,” said Minks’ mother Amanda Lay.
Those in court say they will back on June 6. “It’s been a long road and I think all of us are really ready for it to be over and to actually start the mourning process and I don’t think we can until we’re able to sleep at night and we can’t do that with him wandering the streets,” said Minks’ high school friend Hannah Latzko.
Latzko, along ….MORE
- Minnesota: Judge Donald Spilseth — Sentence of 67 months in plea deal to Paul Wickenhauser for killing three in DWI crash
- Washington, D.C.: Joel Bromwell’s party ended with an old lady being dragged under his ride…for a block…guilty plea nets him 4 years…that’s all!
- Delaware: beach party for Matthew O’Connor of D.C. ended life of Roy Love; guilty plea nets him…nothing but inconvenience in one major cluster****
- Pennsylvania: Adams County Judge Michael George ruled prior DUI of DUI killer Brandon Zirk not relevant
- California: hopelessly pathetic District Attorney and Judge agree to deal for 6 months in jail for DUI killer Kieren Brewer in killing Hanren Chang