Lt. Todd Caufield said Haynes, who was not injured, is father of all three girls. Gleason and Luoma are his friends, Caufield said.
Haynes was speeding from one home on West State Road in Virgil to another home in Virgil when he crashed his car into a utility pole Friday night around 8:45 p.m. None of the children were wearing seat belts, police said. ….MORE
Cortland, N.Y. – The Cortland County Sheriff’s Office has identified a child killed in a crash Friday evening that led to drunk driving and vehicular homicide charges for a town of Virgil man. According to the Sheriff’s Office, 6-year-old Alexia Haynes, was killed when 29-year-old Daniel Haynes lost control of his vehicle on West State Road and struck a utility pole.
The town of Virgil man was arraigned on Saturday morning. He was scheduled to return to court on Monday.
The Sheriff’s Office and emergency personnel responded to the scene around 8:45 p.m.
They say three children and two adults were in the vehicle, along with Haynes.
Along with the child who was killed, the authorities released the other victims’ identities and their conditions on Monday morning:
- Devon Luoma, 21, of Dryden suffered minor injuries and was treated at Cortland Regional Medical Center
- Joshua Gleason, 23, of Virgil, was not injured in the crash
- Adrianna Haynes, 10, of Virgil was transported by TLC and treated at Upstate University Hospital in Syracuse. Her injuries reportedly were not life threatening
- Asia Haynes, age 8 of Virgil, was transported by TLC and treated at Upstate University Hospital and held for observation with minor injuries
- Daniel Haynes was not injured in the crash.
The Sheriff’s Office charged him with:
– Aggravated vehicular homicide, class B felony
– Reckless endangerment, class D felony (4 counts)
– Unlawful Possession of Marijuana, violation
– Endangering the welfare of a child, class A misdemeanor (3 counts)
– Aggravated DWI (Leandra’s Law), class E felony (3 counts)
– Failed to stop at stop sign
– Speed not reasonable and prudent
– Failed to keep right
– Drove across hazard markings
– Consumption of alcohol in a motor vehicle
– No seat belt back passengers ages 8-15 (2 counts)
– No seat belt back passenger ages 4-7 (1 count)
– Reckless driving
The Sheriff’s Office is still investigating the crash. If you have any information that might help their investigation, call (607) 758-6151.